If you want to make your career in digital marketing essentially you have to crack the interview. For you need to have a strong knowledge about the latest marketing tools and just-in strategies.
Appearing for an interview? Here are some necessary tips you should follow before facing the interview panel.
20 Interview Questions for Digital Marketing (with answers)
If you are preparing for such an interview, these are some common questions asked along with the answers.
Q1. How would you define digital marketing?
Ans: Digital marketing is a new-age brand marketing approach through the internet. It consists of various techniques such as SEO, SEM, SMM, and link building.
Q2. What are the prime categories of digital marketing?
Ans: Digital marketing is categorized into two major segments.
Inbound Marketing: Inbound marketing is about increasing the number of link-clicks and traffic with the help of social media marketing, e-books, newsletters, and PPCs. This is the best method to make people learn about a company and its offerings.
Outbound Marketing: Outbound marketing includes placement of ads, email marketing, cold-calls to tap more potential customers.
Q3. What is SEO?
Ans: SEO is the abbreviated form of Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the technique of improving the structure, content, and configuration of a website. This entire system allows to indexing a website perfectly on the search engines. It also includes running promotional activities to boost search engine ranking.
Q4.What is the keyword? Why is it necessary from the SEO perspective?
Ans: In the language of digital marketing, “keyword” is the word that a user types on search engines to find a specific subject/service.
Usage and placement of keywords determine better page ranking of the website.
Q5. What are the key areas where you can ideally use keywords to optimize your site?
Ans: For better webpage ranking use keywords in the following areas-
- Website URL
- Website Title
- Webpage content
- Meta tag
- Body Text
Q6. Why online marketing is overpowering traditional marketing?
- Online marketing gets you a global reach.
- It’s really effectual for quality lead generation.
- Cost-effectiveness is one key parameter behind the popularity of online marketing.
- Live campaigns can be easily rectified.
- You can track each and everything on the digital
Q7. What does it mean by a Responsive Website?
Ans: By a responsive website, we understand a website that is created using Responsive Web Design (RWD) which is fast and compatible with multiple browsers and devices.
Q8. Do you know what is AMP?
Ans: AMP refers to Accelerated Mobile Pages Project which was announced by Google back in 2015 and was being deployed till 2016. It enables pages to load faster on mobile devices.
Q9. How would you increase traffic to a website?
Ans: There are two effective ways to boost website traffic
- Provide a good user experience.
- Build referral links.
Q10. Can you name some of the popular Digital Marketing Tools?
Ans: There are multiple tools available online to boost digital marketing efforts-
1. MailChimp: Email marketing is the most cost-effective marketing tool for products and services. It is expected that the global email users are likely to grow to 4.3 billion users by 2022. For any online marketer, this is something like digging a gold mine. Research says, “Every dollar invested in email marketing can ensure an ROI of about 3800%.” MailChimp is a popular email marketing tool for marketing campaigns. It offers hundreds of customized mobile-responsive templates that can be used to create your marketing emails.
2. Buzzsumo: For content marketers, Buzzsumo is an important analytic tool to keep a track on the most sharable content and key influences. Buzzsumo also helps you in finding the content insights, utilizing which you can optimize your content marketing in order to enhance your content performance and audience engagement. For preparing smarter content strategies, no tools come close to providing such compelling data-driven insights that Buzzsumo displays.
3. Aherfs: This tool is a power performer when it comes to tracking keyword performance. An all-in-one SEO that performs keyword research, measures social metrics, perform backlink analysis, analyze content, rates domain, and URL, estimates traffic and much more. Aherfs can generate millions of keyword ideas across 170+ countries which is about 212% higher than that of the competitors.
4. Hootsuite & Buffer: These two social media tools are used by digital marketers/social media marketers interchangeably. But function wise, both these tools differ greatly. Hootsuite is an analytic tool that lets you manage multiple social media channels.
On the other hand, Buffer is a content publishing platform that allows you to schedule and publish content for different social media platforms.
Performance wise Hootsuite is a bigger platform than a buffer with more analytical features, more connectivity, more supported platforms, and greater teamwork and security.
5. Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a front-end web analytics tool offered by Google. It gives you insights into how users search your website and use it. Google Analytics can help you track ROI for your online marketing.
You can evaluate and analyze your website visitors and categorize them into multiple dimensions. You can use code tracking to tag and tag online campaigns, social media promotions, PR campaigns on any websites and online platforms. Installation of a small piece of tracking code on each of the webpage of your website will make it more impactful. These codes track user information every time they visit your website including the real-time traffic and the channels.
Q11. Explain PPC
Ans: Pay Per Click advertisement or PPC allows you to pull direct traffic to a website. Here advertisers have to pay the publishers once their ads get clicked. In simple words, the amount spent on the ad gets deducted with every click regardless of the total number of times the ads are shown.
Search engines make PPC advertising available on an auction basis. To show a particular ad on a search engine results page (SERP), marketers create ads. Next step is bidding on the particular phrases with which the ad can be searched. The PPC ads will then appear above and below the organic search results and all these ad spots are sold in an auction.
Q12 What are the primary models for determining PPC?
Ans: There are two primary models for determining PPC-
1. Flat rate PPC: Flat rate signifies a fixed rate on which both the advertiser and publisher agree to a fixed amount which will be paid for every single click. Usually, publishers have a PPC rate card based on different areas of their website and network. The amount varies depending on the engagement rate delivered by the content.
2. Bid based PPC: In this segment, advertisers compete with each other in a private auction hosted by the publisher. In this scenario, the advertiser needs to inform the publisher for the maximum amount of bid one intends to pay.
Q13 What is Google Ads?
Ans: Google Adwords is an advertising platform created by Google. It gives business owners access to 90% of the total internet users. It allows advertisers to show clickable ads (sponsor links) in Google search results. Using a PPC payment system, advertisers bid on specific keyword/s on which Google will show their paid ads against the search results.
Q14. What is Google Ads remarketing? Tell us the remarketing options you know
Ans: This is one form of digital advertisement which enables advertisers to show their targeted ads only to their existing web visitors/users. Existing web visitors are more likely to respond to faster activities you are considering a conversion than prospective target base. Thus, it’s a dynamic component of PPC campaigns.
In order to gain maximum conversion from the remarketing campaigns, you need to optimize your campaigns. Adwords remarketing options are (based on user experience and Google recommendation) –
Standard Marketing: You can show your ads to previous visitors as they browse website and apps on the Display Network.
Dynamic Marketing: Dynamic marketing allows you to show ads to the past visitors that have searched any products/services on your site.
Remarketing for mobile apps: For mobile app users and mobile website visitors, Adwords show your ads while it uses other apps or is on other websites.
Remarketing lists for search ads: This feature of Adwords is known as RLSA. It allows marketers to search for visitors on the search network. Target and customize search ads for your past visitors while they search on Google and Google Search partner sites.
Video Remarketing: People, who have interacted with your past YouTube/Social media videos, Adwords help you reach your ads to them too but only through YouTube and other display network videos.
Email list Remarketing: Popularly known as customer match, this feature of Adwords gives you access to your existing user base only if you upload a list of emails to Adwords. This feature enables you to pull off your ads once they will sign in to Gmail, Google Search, Google Chrome, and YouTube.
Q15. How would you optimize the conversion rates per PPC?
Ans: Bringing traffic to website refers as conversion rate in online marketing. To boost conversion rate there are certain steps one needs to follow-
- The website must have relevant content which fits in the keyword search.
- There should be steadfast relevancy between the ads and corresponding landing pages.
- Make the purchase decision smooth supported by easy registering process and signing up for a newsletter.
- Landing pages must be well-designed (graphics, color scheme, and layout) to attract more visitor.
Q16. What should be the ideal approach for effective PPC campaigns?
For an effective PPC campaign, one needs to follow certain guidelines-
- Add more PPC keywords: Adding relevant keywords can increase your business reach.
- Split ad groups: Splitting ads into smaller and relevant groups can improve click-through-rate (CTR).
- Review costly PPC keywords: Review high cost and less performing keywords.
- Refine landing page: Landing page content should be in sync with the search result and it must contain a call-to-action
- Add non-converting keywords: Make your campaign more relevant and reduce the wasted-spent by adding negative keywords so that when people search with the keyword it won’t show your website.
Q17. What is the difference between on-page and off-page optimization?
On-page optimization: On-page optimization includes the structure and content of the website.
Off-page optimization: Off-page ranking deals with building external links pointing towards your website.
Q18. What is the process of avoiding a penalty?
- Avoid linking with bad ranking pages.
- Don’t ever use content stolen from another webpage.
- Avoid poisonous words– suppose you hypertext the word “link” and connect with your site, it becomes a poisonous word.
- Don’t use meta-tags to redirect users to another page right after clicking on your webpage link.
Q19 Explain the characteristics of “bad links”.
The characteristics of bad links are as follows-
- Links from other sites which are not relevant to your site.
- Links from low-traffic pages.
- Links received from link exchanges.
- Links from those sites that are not there in Google index.
- Paid links.
- Links from the same anchor text showing up from other resources.
- Spammy links from blogs/PRs/articles.
Q20. Do you think in the coming days digital marketing will replace offline (traditional) marketing?
Ans: This is one of the most common questions asked by the interviewers. Your answer would justify the depth of your professional skill in the field of digital marketing. Always remember in this particular question what will always count is your personal opinion.
Marketers can actually double their ROI utilizing both these marketing platforms resultantly. In a bid to bring out the best of your marketing efforts traditional and digital marketing should go on the cheek by jowl.
Pro tip: Don’t panic. It would cause unnecessary tension build-up and make you gobble words. You know things, right? Then why clutter because of silly nervousness? Be firm with all your answers.