How do you optimize Articles for Google Discover Feed?
Since its inception in 2018, Google discovery has been a topic of conversation. Being audience focussed, interest-specific, and able to provide relevant content without even searching for it, Google Discover feed is a great addition to the Google family.
With such revamp in its earlier predecessor, performing quality SEO is a huge challenge for digital marketers. However, with optimal optimisation, Discover can be an amazing tool to direct quality traffic and convert it to customers.
Hence, in this blog, we’ll understand what Google Discover is and its related concepts. We’ll further understand how you optimize Articles for Google Discover Feed?
The launch of Google Discover was meant to enhance the experience of its billions of users in the world. It is an updated version of Google Feed, which in Google’s own words “helps you come across the things you haven’t even started looking for.”
And that is exactly what Google Discover Feed does!
It provides you content based on your needs, search history, and interests, one which Google believes you would find appealing. If you find a theme interesting, you can easily explore more relevant content with just a click.
Google Discover operates as an alternative for users who would love to engage with specific content without performing a query.
What is Google Rankbrain?
Google RankBrain is a mechanism by which Google can understand the audience intent behind their search query. It uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to do so. This knowledge can help to direct the best search results to users’ queries.
Before Rank Brain, the entire Google’s algorithm was hand-coded. But, now Rankbrain modifies the code on its own.
Based on the keyword, Rank Brain either augments or lowers the relevance of content length, domain authority, backlinks, and so on.
It views how users engage with the new search results. If the audience likes the new algorithm, it remains. If not, Rank Brain takes the old algorithm back.
Why do you need to optimise your articles for Google Discover?
Online content is getting more personalized and mobile-friendly. Google Discover is figurative of where other online channels are heading.
Establishing your presence on Google Discover can boost your pages’ visibility and improve your conversion rate.
One factor that is the cause for Discover’s popularity is that it is totally mobile optimised. And as mobile usage is increasing, the use of Google Discover is also moving in an upward trajectory.
Hence, at present and in the future, posting blog posts, videos, and creatives capture the essence of the current trends that Google Discover is also promoting.
However, dropping your entire Google search strategy just to focus on Google Discover is not recommendable. What you can do is implement specific tactics to better optimise your articles to make them appear on Google Discover.
How do you optimize Articles for Google Discover Feed?
Now that you have learnt about Google Discover and why it is relevant, let’s understand various practices by which you can optimise articles for Google Discover.
- Use high-resolution and tempting images: When you provide your article, the image you include will act as the “first impression” and will influence your user to click on your article. Hence, ensure you enhance the image’s editorial quality. The recommended pixels by Google are 1,200 px wide.
Furthermore, Google also states that publishers who utilize large images experience an increase in their thumbnail experience and user satisfaction. Ensure Google has the right to showcase to your audience by utilising AMP.
- Create relevant and useful content: Try to understand your audience and their content preference if you wish to rank higher in Discover.
Begin with a buyer persona. You can also look into user reports and Google analytics to understand how your audience engages with your content.
Remember that Google Discover relies upon users past experience. It means it can present content similar to the content the reader has already viewed.
You can create multiple contents on the same theme and connect them using links. In this manner, suppose a user views article A on normal results, he can possibly find article B in his Discover feed.
- Follow Google News terms: Articles displayed on Google must follow Google News guidelines. Google has confirmed that if you wish to appear on Google Discover, maintain conformity with their article content publishing terms.
It includes publishing inventive content, maintaining ad count minimum around the content, keeping content fresh, answering users’ queries, staying transparent so that users can know who wrote the content, including dates and other factors.
Such benchmarks can help a great deal to enhance the overall user experience. Follow the Google News Content policy and Webmaster guidelines properly.
- Make your content mobile-optimised: Google Discover is meant to work on mobile devices. The primary source of Google Discover traffic is through mobile. Hence, your article must be mobile optimised.
If your content is not mobile-friendly, then forget about higher rankings! Your article won’t even be ranked normally.
Here are a few tactics which you can perform to make mobile-optimised content.
- Ensure your article is free of clutter. Go for a minimalistic design approach.
- Pay attention to navigation while designing your website.
- Improve your website loading speed as most mobile users want to consume information quickly.
- Make sure your content should be easily readable.
- Structure your article so that your users can get the most important information easily.
- Your article must contain evergreen content: Google Discover likes to show users evergreen content. This offers users the opportunity to get hold of crucial or current trends while gaining information and entertainment. This also helps to enrich your brand’s authority as a content developer. You can earn huge SEO traffic and engagement on your website. This will make your audience recognise your strength and be a major player in the niche, but would also make your website their primary source for consuming up-to-date and valuable information.
Optimising your article for Google Discover is not that challenging. It is the technique of fine-tuning your content better than your rivals and incorporating the important aspects of trendy and evergreen content.
Following the above-mentioned tips can help you get on the line of ranking higher on Google Discover.
If you wish to Learn Voice SEO Strategy & Digital Marketing and understand all its aspects in great details then click here