Adopting new skills add to your credibility and employability. You can evaluate your skills better when you appear for a job interview. Here are ten digital marketing interview questions commonly asked by any hiring manager. Have a look at these essential tips to outshine among peers.
Q1. How digital marketing is different from traditional marketing?
Tip: Definitely, developing and managing digital ads is different from print, TV, outdoor and retail ads. Keep the following points in mind –
Traditional marketing includes:
- The local audience is the target market
- Preparing marketing stuff manually
- Depending on conventional marketing channels
- Arranging events in person
Digital marketing includes:
- Global + Local audience is the target market
- Live audience communication
- Usage of several online marketing channels deriving from customer behavior
- Promotional events
Q2. What are the types of digital content essential for designing a powerful campaign?
Tip: These are the major categories of popular content type –
- Blog Post – A problem-solving approach in the article acquires the maximum user engagement.
- E-books – For greater length content try e-books for enlightening people.
- Video Content – Videos grab maximum eyeballs when made on the relevant subjects.
- Podcast – Audio content have a different set of audience. Audio content can be hosted on the site and it should be downloadable.
- Email – Newsletters directly communicate with the existing and potential audience.
- Social media – Social media platforms have evolved as the best tool for brand promotion and enhanced search results.
Q3. How content marketing is different from content strategy? Give some examples
Tip: This one is supposed to be the most-asked question in any digital marketing interview. These are two pillars on which online marketing gets success. Both of these components have different roles in making an effective digital marketing campaign.
- Content marketing is curating useful content for online business promotion. This is a marketing method through which consumers are directed to the sales funnel.
- Content strategy includes the planning and executing rich and unique content e.g.: site review, user behavior testing, competitive analysis, etc.
Q4. How do you select effectual KPIs and what is the exact way of tracking them?
Tip: The performance of an online marketing campaign depends on many aspects. There are many metrics to measure this performance but one should know which KPIs (key performance indicators) are important to run a campaign. Such as-
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- Conversion stemming from content marketing
- Click-through rate (CTR) from email marketing
- Organic traffic
- Quality lead acquisition
However, there are certain guidelines for tracking such KPIs e.g.-
- With the KPIs tracking, you can fine-tune your campaign performance weekly.
- With monthly KPIs tracking, you can tweak your campaign in order to ascertain the growth percentage.
- To witness the overall progress of your strategy, closely monitor the quarterly KPIs.
Q5. Why is the role of sales funnel in digital marketing?
Tip: This is one of the most crucial questions asked by an interviewer while you sit for a digital marketing job interview. Sales funnel is a marketing model in digital marketing where potential consumers are brought together from various actions or events and then modeled as the shape of a funnel. This is a self-explanatory model that states how to reach the right customers can be accrued through various sales channels. Let’s give you a brief about the funnel construction:
The top part of the funnel indicates the “Awareness” phase. Here you introduce your product/brand to the target customer. The process involves-
- Website articles
- Social media posts
- Paid advertising
The middle of the funnel represents the “Evaluation” phase. Here the people come to know what you are selling but they are unsure whether your product/service will solve their problem or not. It involves-
- Marketing emails
- Landing Pages
The extreme bottom funnel is the “Conversion” one. Here you convert your audience to your customers. The practice comprises of-
- Product demonstration
- Sales pages
- Comparison graph
- Customer Testimonials
- Unique offers
Q6. How do you strategize your SEO campaign?
Tip: This is a general question asked in an interview. Conversions generate through search engine traffic matters a lot to make a digital campaign fruitful. How you strategize your SEO reflects your digital marketing success. Given below are a few points to consider:
- Keyword research – Explain how you can use various advanced digital tools like KWFinder, Keywords Everywhere, and Keywordtool.io are used to find relevant keywords and create high-performing content.
- Website traffic audit – Tell them how Web Analytics works to calculate website visitors and how this data can be used to deliver the best SEO result.
- Website ranking strategy – Talk about how Google’s Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines are used to increase the keyword’s ranking. Both SEO content and website structure fall under this.
Q7. What are the software tools you use the most?
Tip: Two things you need to remember before responding to this question.
- If the interviewer belongs to a digital team, you can face this question for sure. Therefore, a little preparation before the interview is a must-need.
- If you are well-versed with the common tools (like Yoast, MailChimp, Buffer, Canva, Hotjar, etc.) you can nail any digital marketing interview. Make sure you know them all along with the best practice over various platforms.
Q8. What are the techniques you use to get customer feedback?
Tip: Business owner who own an online eCommerce store, know better how tough is to gain peoples’ trust and their honest feedback. Always remember people share their feedback more on the occasion of product dissatisfaction than that of user satisfaction. Here are some tested hacks to gain quality feedback from your audience-
- Add live chat support on the website
- Feedback from FB and Instagram lives
- Add a separate customer feedback form on the website
- Track user behavior on the website and social media
- Customer follow up
- Feedbacks from email and app
- Use online polls
- Handle negative feedback professionally
Q9. Why trends/industry updates are important and how would you incorporate them into your work?
Tip: Digital Marketing is the fastest evolving marketing industry. You need to keep up with various changes like Google search algorithms, social media updates, content strategies, latest software, etc. Following the trends is not a difficult task. Make a list of news sources like BuzzSumo, Sprout Social, Marketing Land, Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Journal, Social Media Examiner, etc., and follow their new articles. You can check Twitter trends to keep up with the latest hacks in digital marketing.
Q10. How would you explain digital marketing to a non-marketer?
Tip: There will be situations where you need to explain about digital marketing to people who maybe are not really aware of the topic. In such circumstances forget your expert status and core technical aspects and describe it in a way so that any layman can freely understand such as-
“Digital marketing is any form of marketing products or services that involves electronic devices.”- Neil Patel