In comparison to having your blog for your SEO goals, Medium SEO performs quite differently. Optimising SEO on Medium is more efficient and less complex than doing it on a website.
The main difference between the two is this- you are provided with only a few concepts to customise to let your blog get ranked higher.
As an SEO expert working on Medium, various metrics like domain authority, website loading speed, etc. are already compared. Moreover, there are some other effective techniques by which you can easily target the right audience and get more coverage in the niche of your own choice!
The most significant aspect of utilising this platform is to use Medium available SEO setting on your article.
In this blog, we’ll try to cover such important aspects about Medium, and how can it be SEO optimised. But before that, let’s first understand what Medium is.
What is Medium?
It is an online publishing platform, home to a significant collection of blogs and articles written by both professional and amateur writers. On this platform, readers can find insightful articles based on their choice.
The platform is also meant to lay out a helping hand to those writers who wish to find the desired audience for their stories.
Medium claims over 7 million posts have been posted and its audience base has reached up to 60 million. Hence, it does beg the question, does Medium help with SEO?
The answer is simple. With that much significant readership, any business that is not leveraging this amazing platform is surely missing a lot of potential leads out in the online world.
Benefits of Medium SEO
Optimising SEO for your Medium stories can drive great benefits. Some of the ways by which it can happen are:
- If you can target what Medium subscribers are looking for, then you may be one of the biggest recipients regarding SEO.
- You can build yourself a brand in the niche you are interested in. Writing about the thought-provoking topics will make your authority visible in the same domain, and even let you earn a loyal customer base.
- Including a link or call-to-action option at the end of your story can help direct the traffic back to your website.
- By posting unique and engaging stories, you can augment the number of followers who engage with your posts regularly.
How to Optimise Your Posts for Readers?
Medium alone won’t reward you with great SEO benefits. What is required is to realise how to use Medium for SEO and optimise your posts for SEO and your target readers.
- Make SEO friendly URLs: Your URL should make your reader guess the content of the web page by simply reading it. Hence, your URL must contain a correct phrase that associates with the web page. Medium can help you in this regard, as it makes your story’s URL match its title by default. Also, you can add hyphens to separate words and make the readability easier and improve SEO.
- Utilise multimedia: Including appealing multimedia is a great way of attracting more readers and building your authority. It would be extremely difficult to position your brand as the exceptional one without incorporating insightful and relevant multimedia. Therefore, utilise every asset of multimedia available like images, videos, slideshows, etc.
- Add outbound and internal links: Including outbound or external links to your story is an effective tactic for search engines to determine the relevance and authority of a website. Not only will this strengthen your brand value, but would also improve the link value of your concerned article. Similarly, add internal links as well. Although external links are more valuable than them, internal links also play a part in optimising the website.
- Publish long content: Long content is seen as more appealing and better for SEO. However, it does not mean that your content should be long. But one must keep in mind that long content tends to fetch more readers and helps to rank higher.
- Make use of responsive design: Investing in a more responsive design is now necessary as Google uses this as a factor in its ranking mechanism. Make your website more mobile-friendly and responsive to user needs.
Keyword Optimisation for Better Ranking and Exposure
Keywords are an important component of Medium SEO. It is one of the most significant aspects to know how to use Medium for SEO. Hence, it is crucial to optimise keywords as per the content so that your article appears before your readers first when they search for the related topic.
- Incorporate keywords in your URL: You can optimise web pages by inserting a keyword in the URL. However, ensure you do not overdo keywords. Search engine algorithms can recognise keyword stuffing and may even penalise you for the same.
- Add keyword in the title: If your title is flexible, then including a keyword in the title is worth the effort. Moreover, it would be better if you could put the keyword at the beginning of the title. Why? Because ranking algorithms do not pay much heed to the keywords at the end of the title.
- Put keywords in the first 100-150 words: Ensure most of your keywords are incorporated in the first 100-150 words. Make sure that all the keywords should be in sync with the content and should be posted organically. The keywords included should briefly describe the content and should be logically connected.
- Utilise LSI keywords: LSI or Latent Semantic Indexing keywords are semantically related to your targeted keyword. Utilising them not only makes your content understandable by humans, but also by machines. Hence, if you really want to follow all the relevant SEO factors, you cannot ignore LSI keywords.
Medium SEO- How to rank your Stories?
Here are some effective ways which you can implement to obtain higher rankings than your competitors.
- Include Alt-tag in images
- Share your Medium articles on your social media profiles, on Quora and on your website
- Get your Medium article published in a reputed publication to boost your rankings on search engines.
- Add multiple subheadings in your Medium articles to augment the time spent on them.
- Ensure the correct use of tags in your Medium articles.
This blog is a comprehensive guide to help you better understand how to use Medium.com.
After all, optimising Medium SEO is your ticket for creating a good customer experience, building brand authority and exposure.
If you wish to Learn Digital Marketing and understand all its aspects in great details then click here