The Ultimate Guide to SILO Structure
Are you confused about how your content should be organized on your website? In addition to creating an engaging blog post, one way can be to build a SILO structure.
A SILO is a brilliant visual for a way of grouping images to enhance SEO. However, organizing a website into a silo structure can be a formidable task, especially for businesses that provide many services/products, serving various industries, have several locations, or even blog posts.
If not performed correctly, search engines will not be able to understand your site appropriately. Search engines will struggle to index your pages, and SEO authority shall not flow throughout your pages.
Due to this specific reason, some amazing websites are hidden from relevant SERPs exposure as they lack an organic SEO strategy.
In this blog post, we’ll help you understand SILO structure, what is the importance of SILO structure, and how you can implement it effectively.
What is a SILO structure in SEO?
Great content on a website won’t be found either by search engine bots or readers if you don’t use good website architecture.
A SILO structure must group links structure and content in a way that search engine bots love.
It can be identified as the best approach to organize content on a particular topic. The better and relevant content you include in SILO, the better and relevant your website will be viewed in the eyes of search engines.
The basic working on SILOs is based on letting you seize your main ideas and break them down into smaller category pages that can answer all the relevant queries.
What is the Importance of SILO Structure?
There is no comprehensive information available on how a search engine ranks a website. However, one thing is for certain, websites need to provide good quality content.
Let’s have a look at how a SILO architecture helps with search engine optimization.
- Improve user experience: Even a small problem on your website can direct droves of visitors to click the back button when they come on your site.
Incorporating structured content on your website is one of the most critical features. When your visitors understand your website at a glance, they’ll spend more time on your site.
Utilizing a SILO structure on your website develops ease of navigation and in turn, enhances user experience.
- Create keyword relevance and context: Search engines consider the importance of a keyword related to the content on your webpage while indexing it. It develops the context of a website as well.
Also, the blog post needs to fit into the website effectively. Keyword relevancy of context needs to be in place to improve your possibility of being found online.
Utilizing silos to organize your content assists you to build posts that are relevant to the overall theme and the categories. Your website can appear as a result of a keyword when you develop an overarching context.
- Ease of interlinking: When you build backlinks on your website, you must ensure that these backlinks help users discover content on your site. A silo structure will let you link between top categories to post in subcategories, which then can link back to the home page.
Such interlinking is critical as it helps search engines spiders crawl your entire site. Once your website gets crawled, then your relevant articles get ranked for specific search terms.
- No unnoticed content: Proper interlinking helps your website content not be overlooked by search engines. Search engines utilize links to find more content within a website. The finest practices in interlinking indicate that you link content with a silo only.
This ensures that your interlinks move to relevant content and make sense contextually. If you wish to link to other silos, it’s advisable to link to top-level categories.
How to silo your website efficiently?
Here are the best practices which you can utilize to silo your website successfully.
- Create top-level landing pages: Every landing page heads the silo under which the content shall lie. For some websites, recognizing the ultimate themes that can define your website effectively is simple. For other sites, dividing your site into clear categories may be more troublesome.
To conclude, it’s better to think of both your present themes and the findings from keyword research. Observing what your site covers and the relevant keywords help you see opportunities that you may miss to extend your content.
- Build lower-level pages: Based on your website and objectives, your categories may become more particular under the landing page category. It’s recommended to have a minimum of five
content pages for each silo theme.
If you can’t fill out enough content for a theme you are considering, try to put pages into another silo. If you have a large amount of content for one silo, consider breaking it into two.
- Implement cross links for pages within the silo: Every page in your silo should link to the other pages in the silo. You must connect the web pages and implement the ways that people would search for content. You can also utilize anchor text to strengthen your keywords.
Lower level pages must not cross linked to other silo pages. The content pages must be organized so that they are separated by category. If they link to one another, your silos will be scrambled.
Although, lower-level pages should link to other high-level pages. If performed correctly, bots and readers can steer from any silo to the top of another silo. This tactic helps the silo mishap of maintaining users and bots from finding related content due to the absence of crosslinking.
- Develop content and create your silo: Content should be of high quality and better than the competition that a search engine is likely to find. Even the internal linking is also based on the content being connected sensibly so that readers want to explore between pages.
Creating titles and headings is critical for successful SEO in a silo. Titles should accurately define page content and emphasize the manners in which this webpage is different from other website content in the silo.
A silo structure is the best medium to organize your site’s content. While it is challenging to implement, it can assist search engines to crawl, index and rank your site higher.
This strategy has stood the test of time for enhancing the overall SEO. To leverage it effectively, the silo structure needs reinforcement from the website structure to streamline the navigation.